I dare you to find someone who hasn’t uttered the phrase, “I need more money,” at some point in his or her life. I bet you can’t do it. Everyone goes through difficult times. How quickly we emerge from our own personal financial quicksand depends on willingness to work for and earn extra money. If you are willing to consider some creative ways to earn more dough and will work hard enough to get it, there is no reason you won’t be able to pay down your debt, build a substantial nest egg, or save up for a family vacation.
Consider these fast-cash ideas. Granted, none of these things will be able to replace your day job, but they will help you bring in a few extra bucks.
- Participate in a Trial Study – Medical companies, cosmetic developers and other companies pay people to test their product or treatment. Some studies have special requirements and some take longer than others (so cash might not be super fast). Search “paid medical studies,” and find options in your area.
- Donate Plasma – There is a fairly high demand for blood plasma. Unlike regular blood donations which makes you wait several months between donations, you can donate plasma twice in a seven day period. And, you can earn between $20 and $35 per pint. Check DonatingPlasma.org for centers near you.
- Donate Bone Marrow – More painful and more demanding of your time (a couple of days) than plasma donation, bone marrow donation also has a significantly higher pay out - $450 for a donation.
- Share Your Talents – Do you have musical skills? Put them to good use. Check with local restaurants and bars to see if anyone is offering paid live music gigs. Or advertise your talents and you could book some lessons. Teach multiple students and you can make a haul.
- Do Odd Jobs – Are you a Jack of all trades? Peddle your services to the locals. Offer to make repairs, do yard work, or clean homes.
- Serve or Bartend – Get a job as a part-time server or bartender and you will always have cash on hand.
- Sell Your Stuff – Clean out your closets and you will probably find tons to things you don’t need/want anymore. Instead of having them clutter up your home, sell them. Hold a yard sale. Create an eBay account. Find a local consignment store. Check out a pawn shop.
- Sell Your Unused Gift Cards – Do you have gift cards lying around that you know you will never use? Sell them. Plastic Jungle and eBay are just two examples of sites that will buy your gift cards. You obviously won’t get the full face value, but something is better than nothing!
- Rent Your Driveway – Yes, I said driveway. If you live near public transportation or near popular attractions, rent your driveway (or yard!). By charging less than commercial lots in the area, you can undercut the competition and score major money.
Starting a home business isn’t a way to earn fast cash, but it is a great way to earn additional income.
- Provide Child Care – Supervising children at home can be a rewarding experience for both parties; providing a comforting home environment is beneficial for the children and working from home is beneficial for you. You can prepare the family’s supper, do laundry, and so much more while earning a paycheck.
- Provide Pet Care – There is a wide range of pet care services you could provide. Care can be as simple as walking dogs or as complex as bathing and grooming.
- Make and Sell Stuff – If you are blessed with a bit of creativity, you can earn some major cash. If arts and crafts are your area of expertise, there are lots of online companies (like Etsy) that will sell your wares. If you can wield a hammer, the sky is the limit for ways you can earn some money. Little things like birdhouse or bigger projects like corn toss boards (a lawn game sensation that is sweeping the nation) will both sell like hotcakes.
- Be a Virtual Assistant – If you are organized, have good communication skills, and are self-motivated, getting hired as an administrative assistant will be a snap. Many companies are hiring assistants to perform duties like making/answering phone calls, replying to emails, and other duties from afar.
- Tutor Students – Are you good at math? Could you help others with their reading and writing skills? Perhaps you could be a tutor. Whether you join an existing company or start your own, there are always students who could use assistance with their school work.
- Provide Lodging – Turn part of your house into a bed and breakfast. Or, rent out a room to a college student or young professional – a popular trend that many homeowners are taking advantage of.
Whether you need cash right now or want to save for the future, there are lots of ways to bring in extra money. Do you have any suggestions we left off the list?